Sr. Mechanical Engineer
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
City of Industry, CA
12 May 2023
The Sr. Mechanical Engineer researches, plans, designs, and develops torque and aviation tools. The successful candidate will coordinate projects from start to finish, lead prototype and pilot builds, plan and perform relevant testing, conduct statistical analyses of systems, and generate 3D CAD models and production drawings. Responsibilities also include creating and reviewing detailed drawings, product BOMs, and related materials in the support of release of new product development and sustaining engineering.
While the main elements of the job center on new product development, there will be significant time spent on sustaining engineering of existing products, problem solving, and quality support. These projects will center on the Snap-on torque and aviation tool businesses.
The Sr. Mechanical Engineer will have good communication skills, superior technical capabilities, be self-motivated, and demonstrate he/she can work under general supervision. Under the direction of engineering management, the Sr. Mechanical Engineer will design new products from prototypes to production-ready documentation and manage product development projects and subtasks.
The Sr. Mechanical Engineer will also support production and QA with dimensional analysis, drawing maintenance and support, and creating and managing ECNs.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIESinclude but are not limited to the following. Other duties may be assigned. Represents a summary of the range of duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Intended to outline the minimum qualifications necessary for entry into the position/class and do not necessarily convey the qualifications of incumbents within the position/classification. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Develop technical requirements for system development and product specifications
- Develop designs using engineering standard practices and current 3D CAD/CAE techniques
- Define and develop detailed engineering drawing packages
- Engineer solutions to materials, design, machining, calibration, and related issues. Develop root cause analyses for projects with complex parts and environment interactions
- Work to established and project/program schedules, work on multiple projects
- Product configuration management
- Generate, review and approve ECNs for completeness and accuracy while assuring all related documents are revised as required and part dispositions correctly identified
- Manage the fabrication, evaluation, and testing of prototype designs
- Provide support to the manufacturing engineering, operations, and quality departments to resolve in-house production problems and supplier issues
- Evaluate and recommend improvements to current design and manufacturing practices
- Create and review engineering reports documenting new designs, product testing, and failure investigation
- Create engineering test plans and reports for product verification and validation. Perform test and analysis tasks
- Develop processes, methods, tooling, and production controls to take designs into production with low manufacturing costs
- Lead and participate in continuous improvement projects
- Provide technical support to Sales and Marketing as requested
- Provide input for Engineering Department’s CAPEX and expense budget as requested
- Complete other duties as directed by Management
ESSENTIAL REQUIREMENTS/QUALIFICATION: Intended to outline the minimum qualifications necessary for entry into the position/class and do not necessarily convey the qualifications of incumbents within the position/classification. The additional requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. To perform this job successfully, the applicable candidate must be a team player.
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering or equivalent required. M.S. desired
- 8+ years’ relevant experience in mechanical engineering and design
- Knowledge of mechanical engineering principles, materials engineering and design (preferably metals and plastics processing), statics/mechanics, mechanisms, testing, instrumentation, and FEA methods
- Knowledge of GD&T principles in the ASME Y14.5 drafting standard. Ability to create and understand engineering drawings, system specifications and technical reports
- Strong computer skills using SolidWorks (preferred) solid modeling, FEA simulation and Product Data Management (PDM) engineering tools as well as office tools for word processing, spreadsheet, presentations, database, project management and electronic mail applications
- Knowledge of fabrication and assembly techniques and machine-shop practices and techniques
- Familiar with CNC machining and plastic injection molding
- Strong understanding of mechanical and electromechanical systems
- Knowledge of steel alloys and heat treatments
- Demonstrated abilities in test methodology, documentation, and validation/first article processes
- Empirical stress analysis experience desired
- Detail oriented, self-motivated, results-driven and possess good verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated discipline to follow NPD procedures for design reviews
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- High attention to detail
- Has initiative and able to work effectively with little direction and/or few guidelines
- Familiarity with Six Sigma and Lean concepts preferable