Carol Stream, IL
12 May 2023
The Mechanical Engineer will have excellent competencies in major mechanical engineering disciplines. These include design with steel and aluminum, material heat treating and processing, mechanism design, lab testing, and statistics. The successful candidate will have proven and practical experience in launching new products and sustaining existing product in the factory and the field.
They will also have good communication skills, be a motivated learner, and demonstrate they can work under general supervision. The successful candidate will be involved in 3D CAD and drawing generation, tolerancing, prototyping, BOM and routings creation, costing, and many other development and internal factory tasks. This engineer will also support production and QA with dimensional analysis, drawing maintenance and support, and creating and managing ECNs.
- Troubleshoot and resolve issues in QA, material, and part substitutions
- Resolve finished goods calibration issues, including redesigns where necessary
- Design new torque mechanisms and maintain current designs
- Handle laboratory uncertainly analysis and other lab technical responsibilities.
- Coordinate and prioritize many projects at once with minimal supervision.
- Communicate with various departments coordinating efforts to ensure on-time support, completion, and delivery of new products.
- Create new product designs of torque tools, torque measurement devices, and calibration systems.
- Provide product development and quoting support for customer-specific specials.
- Create 3D CAD to define componentry and detailed drawings for new products and product modifications.
- Provide design and to engineering support to the change notices (ECN) and related processes.
- Evaluate and determine alternate parts, materials, treatments, and designs.
- Apply DFMA principles to optimize cost tradeoffs between component and labor costs; refine component designs and process using supplier and in house manufacturing inputs.
- Write and conduct validation and verification testing to release new products to production.
- Develop processes, methods, tooling, and production controls to seamlessly take designs into production with low manufacturing costs; supervises their assembly and proofing. Creates documentation for the new processes.
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
- 2+ years’ experience required in major mechanical engineering discipline(s), preferably mechanical product design and development.
- Knowledge of mechanical engineering principles, preferably materials (metals, plastics, and processing), statics/mechanics, mechanisms, testing, instrumentation, and FEA methods.
- Strong understanding of test purposes and methodology to verify, document and validate new product designs.
- Good math skills, including statistics
- Computational stress analysis system experience desired.
- Knowledge of GD&T principles in the ASME Y14.5 drafting standard.
- Strong CAD and drafting skills, preferably SolidWorks.
- Knowledge of modern fabrication and assembly techniques and machine-shop practices and techniques.
- Familiar with CNC machining and plastic injection molding.
- Able to document all work and projects.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- High attention to detail.
- Has initiative and able to work effectively with little direction and/or few guidelines.
- Able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office tools: Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, MS Project
- Familiarity with Six Sigma and Lean concepts preferable.